Monday, August 01, 2005

What doesn't work in Management ...

Well, it takes some guts to accept defeat. And I have it. Both guts and defeat, I mean. Our Team Bakar came last in Episode. All our plans went down the drain. But it did teach me an important lesson. It taught me what DOES NOT work in Management. We had everything – the best in every area, or atleast someone who could compete with the best. And yes, we had the drive to win the Episode. But what we didn’t have was – I don’t know what to call it, so let me put it up as “People Orientation / People Skills / People Familiarity” !!!

I still remember that the very first day when we induted the junies, we started out by blurting out the events for the next day and asking the junies to decide among themselves about who would go for the events. And all this without introducing ourselves to them or asking for their names!!

So, in the end, we ended up not being able to make every junie perform to his/her best. And on top of that, there was no fun. The whole process then became a drag. So much so that they couldn’t even perform the Theme Song at the Valedictory function.

At the same function, Shiv Ramdas, whose Team RDX came 2nd, said, “We tried to make sure we let the junies do what they enjoy doing most not what they have done most.” I completely agree with the guy on this, though I literally hate him.

Episode is meant for FUN… and for junies to enjoy.

No wonder we lost. But we gained something. As they say, every cloud has a silver lining.

3 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger Arun R said...

Episode is for enjoyment, not for getting first or second prizes...

Anyways do see to it that u make up for the loss in Episode on other events during the year. Regarding the junies u can always take them out for a treat and set things alright.

What is happening with TSG? Do keep me updated.....

PS: Sorry for the harsh reply to ur comment on my post......

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Yashasvi Arun said...

Hey abhishek good one episode is for enjoyment but more than that its all about ur jelling with ur junies which even we could not do really well. Ofcourse there are more opportunities and more chances to interact with them but then the episode gives the best time. Its good you learnt something very crucial for surviving in today's industry. hey tell me more about the TSG activitites selections and other stuff and do send me a snapshot of the intranet u designed.
my email id is yashasvi.arun@polaris.co.in

 
At 5:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im providing a link to ur blog in my humble web-blog... if u have any reservations then i'll delete the link asap...
Sincera,
jagat'zz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home