Monday, May 16, 2005

OLEANNA

This was the name of the Play that I watched this Sunday. Actually, it was the first play of my life, as an audience I mean. It was the insistence of Prakash R, my super-senie, that got me to watch the play. He'd disagree, though :-). Well, at the end of the play, Prakash, who happens to be a regular at Play-shows, told me that this play was very heavy for the beginners (I think he read the I'm-lost kinda look on my face). Well, to be frank, I didn't even understand what the play was all about!! And why was such a simplistic and so-far-fetched storyline made into a play!! And they spoke a very high-profile English, probably. There were moments when the people around me were laughing heartily and I didn't even understand what dialogues were being delivered !!! But, boy, Plays do attract the niche of the crowd!!! Some people, and you gotta understand me right, were simple amazing. Nice place to be at, if you can spare INR 100!!
:-(
The play's director is David Mamet. This is its Official
website. Of course, the actors weren't the same. The play was performed by a group from Mumbai and had Indian characters. The story actually involves two characters, Carol and her Professor. The professor is awaiting an extension by the Tenure Committee and Carol is failing in his subject. So she goes to his place to seek help. Instead of simply helping her, the Professor makes her look at, in a holistic perspective, the whole purpose of Education. Certain things intertwine and in Act Two, bingo, you find that the lil' girl has accused the Prof of Sexual Assault, when he was playing more like a father!! Reminds me more of Michael Douglas and Demi Moore's Disclosure - Sexual Harrasment in not about Sex, but Power.

A simple case of mistaken communication given extreme colours by the director. But if were to take what Prakash says as the truth, I can't even fathom what the light-weight plays would be like :-(. Perhaps he means that they are interesting!!

But whatever, this play has killed whatever little enthusiasm I had for Plays. Its not to belittle the efforts put behind the play. I understand that a lot of effort, patience and rehearsals go behind these things. But then, in the end, it has appeal to me, which this play didn't.

Perhaps, Plays are not my cup of tea !!!

1 Comments:

At 11:46 PM, Blogger Karthik Abhiram said...

Hey Abhishek, tell Prakash I said hello... How's your project going on?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home