Thursday, May 25, 2006

Reservations ... I Hate Them ...

I'm worried about my kids - I don't have them as of now; but when I do have them, where do I educate them? Coz as I see it, by the time they become old enough to be in college, there'll be no seats!! If Arjun Singh continues to have his way like this, I'm sure we can put our dream of India becoming a Superpower to rest. Everyone talks about the huge number of engineers and MBAs that India churns out - but a few years down the line, this measure will be useless. People will start talking of quality professionals - do we have them?

The situation worsens when we think of the reservations in place in our educational system. Garbage In Garbage Out!! I'm not implying that people who come from reserved categories are not good but when you put average performers in places like IITs and IIMs, they just can't stand the pressure. And I'm sure thereafter the profs will also quit. All in all, India has a dark future. :(

A better method would be to look at the root-cause of this problem - the whole question of reservation arises because of the social inequalities. So, fix them first. Put in place systems to ensure that children get primary education and then get good teachers (and pay them well) to teach them. In the end, this'll ensure that 12th standard students in govt. schools and private schools (irrespective of their "categories") will be at par - and then let them chart their own careers.

But seems like our govt. is more interested in finding shortcuts to success rather than a proper way of tackling issues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home